Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ginger and Spice

My household has spent the last several weeks ill, ill, ill. Quite gross and impossibly recurring, I shall spare you the messier details.
One Friday morning, while the whole house grumbled lay about in abject misery, I was forced to get up and put together something that would appease the roiling masses of heavy breathers. And, would you believe it? Like the holy grail of meals, Singapore rice noodles appeared.

Truly the Hong Kong Noodle, this recipe is not actually from Singapore. There are many different ways to make this; some call for curry, while others do not. This is the first dish I loved curry in, so I definitely use it.


This version we ate for about three days; egg, tofu, several grated carrots and zucchinis making up the base, with the ginger, garlic and cayenne in fluctuating amounts. Whatever I thought we could handle at the moment.
In fact, I attribute a sudden turn around in health to the insane amounts of ginger and garlic (and perfect spice!) the first batch had.
I was quite surprised anyone ate it, to tell you the truth. It reeked!


But, Singapore rice noodles are delicious, quite impossible to ruin; and contain all requisite ingredients for nearly any type of un-wellness. They are fairly flexible in terms of what goes in them. They can be pretty plain and lightly seasoned, or they can be loaded up with a variety of spice, meats and veggies. Chilis, carrots, snow peas, onion, cabbage, bean sprouts, and peppers among them.


I find that writing a recipe seems overly fussy for these noodles. I make a version for the kids that has no broth, or soy sauce and is a slightly milder version of what I make for bigger meals. I usually just sprinkle spices over things in the order I see fit, instead of marinading anything.This is really a simple meal, and can be easily put together according to tastes and preferences.

Also, I find a lot of recipes don't include egg. However, every time I have ordered it in a restaurant, it comes with egg. I find I prefer egg and tofu to other protein choices. Only a bit of egg goes a long way. Or you can separately scramble several eggs with a bit of curry and chili powder and add them as a major protein source.


 

This is a new go-to meal for our family. Gluten-free, lots of veggies, easy to make, and everyone eats them! Fantastic.





I found this blog post expresses the incredible delight of Singpore Rice Noodles, while explaining the history and traditional way of eating them. You might be interested in reading that, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment