Sunday, February 20, 2011

With a Grain of Salt

My focus for this blog is what I feed my family.
As much as I would love to step into a fully formed food blog, full of fantastic pictures and fabulous recipes, this is not that blog.

This is where I write about what we are eating, where I write about the frustrations of them not eating and express the joys of what we do eat.
I forget that.

I really wanted this blog to be something that I would do every day, some place where I could freely lament the trouble I am having. A place that would hold all the trials and all the triumphs.

But, I got very discouraged.
I want this to be interesting, and fun to read. I want this to be helpful to others, or at least entertaining.
I don't want to talk about white rice and eggs every day. I don't even want to eat white rice and eggs every day.
One of the reasons I started this is so I could clearly see what my kids do eat and then use that information to break out of the mold.

But I don't want to talk about white rice every day.




"Write the book you want to read". Have you ever heard that?
Well, the foodie book I want to read is about the mom who doesn't have a lot of extra money, a mom who is working with the same eating restrictions I deal with. I want to read the book about the mom who doesn't smile a fake smile, who won't tell me about how her children eat six servings of vegetables every day, never eat fried food, never throw food. I want to read the book about the mom who cried after dinner every night for eight weeks before leaving the dishes for tomorrow and sitting around with a tub of forbidden ice-cream.
I want to read about the mom who is creative and struggling and who conquers meals one mustard seed at a time.
 The one that that always has "and then everyone had a delicious meal, felt filled with great energy and went about their business" in every chapter!

And, you know what? I am being unfair to what I really want this blog to be about by wishing that it was something else.

I ramble. I get frustrated. I get discouraged. I feed my kids foods I don't want them to have because I am frustrated and discouraged.
I cook less than I ought to and order far more than I should.

I don't like it. But that's how it is, right now. And I am here to keep track of all of it. Not just the yummy stuff.

Whatever this blog may not be, it is definitely about food.
This blog is purely for myself and my own purposes. I have never kept online journals to connect with others.
It's an incredible tool for doing so. Don't get me wrong. Of course I would love to have many readers and lots of comments. But that is not my motivation, nor the goal of this project.
Right now, I just want to watch what we eat. And talk write about it.

Beside, I must remember, if I do hope to reach someone else through what I am writing, I must be extremely straightforward about what we are eating, how we like it or not. Going to write about what I really use to cook, how I could do it differently.

I do love to talk about tastes and what I thought went right or wrong in cooking!


So, here's to figuring it out from scratch; to taking the lumps, and the burnt bits and eating it with a smile!
Here's to writing it all out in it's messy glory and not feeling bad when mine doesn't look as good as yours.
Here's to practice makes perfect. Nobody's looking, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment